Thursday, June 11, 2009

We've disappeared!


With my gigantic ego, I never thought about women over 60 as not represented much at all in the tons of magazines that I read. Why should the media focus on the older gals?

But I had just turned 60 when I met 2 special women in their 70's. One the CEO of a major corporation and the other a well-known volunteer and philanthropist in our state. Both were more attractive, better dressed, and much sharper than I was at 60! As I listened to them interacting with the men on this panel, questioning and probing financial issues, I began to wonder why I never noticed women of this age before.
True, I've notices older women:
  • My own grandmother, yes.
  • My own mother, yes.
  • As the woman in the hair salon waiting for my dye job to be done.

But as individual, vibrant women , both in retirement and working, contributing to their families,to their communities and churches , to the political scene...well, no. Thinking of them on these levels didn't occur to me much.

Once the situation settled in my brain for awhile, I started looking closely at whatever I read.

Did you know that women are given advice according to their present decade on the planet? Those in their 20's, 30's, 40's and , oh yes, the 50's+. I fall directly into the 'plus'. 'Plus' is a big category, so it seems, since 4 decades of women fall into it. I hope to be in the 'plus' area for a long time to come.

Where have I found a focus on women over 60? In blogs! Enter 'women over 60' as a search, and you'll find tons of blogs-some great, many just a cover for selling books, orthopedic devices or blue rinses. But more conversation goes on through blogs than anywhere else I've found.


Check out this one. As you know, vanity is one of my very strong points so I found the info on products useful. Also the other blogs listed on this site look interesting:

http://barbs-beauty-tips-for-babes-over-60.blogspot.com/

and the website for MORE Magazine at http://www.coverleaf.com/moremagazine

What is foremost in your mind right now? What useful blogs or sites have you found?

Waiting to hear from you!

Over60Woman





2 comments:

  1. One magazine that does address us '60+'s...not often but sometimes...is More. A few years ago, a younger friend of mine introduced me to this magazine (not wanting to acknowledge that I was over 60 and most of the articles focus on the 40's and 50's). I do subscribe and find it interesting, at times depressing(as in their test of fitness:"Are You Fit Enough for Your Future" by Elena Rover in the April, 2009, issue) and also enlightening and, surprisingly often, motivating.

    I'm not into facelifts right now, but Annie, Groer, age 63, is a professional woman who went for the redo and talks about it in "From Buyout to Face-lift" in the April, 2009, issue.

    I also enjoyed the article by 6 well-respected authors in the June, 2009, issue: "Do We really want to live to be 100?" Patricia Marx writes of wanting to live to 100 when she was 11, but then...(don't let me spoil the punchline-which I loved!). And Joyce Carol Oates' piece on her father's decision to go to college at 65 was amazing.

    The neat thing is that you can access these and other articles in More by going to www.coverleaf.com/moremagazine. They advertise free online issues, but I'm not sure if you are a print version subscriber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, TIME! In the "Special Health Report," those of us over 60 are given a whole page of advice(June 22, 2009).

    The bad part is that this is the only age group to have 4 decades lumped together. Oh, well-we're used to it, right?

    The good part, though, is that the commentary is done by Dr. Roseanne Leipzig,of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. She covers doctor's visits, diet and nutrition, physical fitness and behavior/mood.

    She emphasized that those of us who are active run a "lower risk of disease, depression and chronic pain from conditions like arthritis and back pain...are also less vulnerable to dementia" than inactive Over 60's.

    Did I already know that? Yes. Does it help to push me out the door for a walk? Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete