Monday, July 7, 2014

Finally Time to Read! Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman

A Very Favorite Friend
If you'd like some humorous reflections on life by noted author, Lisa Scottoline, this is the book. Scottoline is also the author of the the Rosato and Associates mystery series featuring Benny Rosato and her female lawyer associates and several internationally known best sellers.

In Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog (2009), she has collected short articles on her life as a 50-something, twice-divorced, Italian woman, who juggles her profession,her young-adult daughter, her mother and a gay brother as she dotes on her beloved dogs.  She writes briefly of husbands, more about dogs, pointedly about growing older, and grudgingly about migrating fat and the inevitable wrinkle or two...or three

In the collection , much of which was written for "Chick Wit" in the Philadelphia Inquirer,  Scottoline pens the dedication  "for extraordinary ordinary women everywhere".  And she credits Eleanor Roosevelt as describing the incredible strength of ordinary women:  "A woman is like a tea bag.  You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water."

Titles such as "Everything Old Is Nude Again" give the reader a delightful glimpse into what follows. Scottoline writes, "Something dangerous is going on in the world of women's underwear, and I want to nip it in the butt."  In "Fashionista," she observes that "I'm not sure when I officially stopped mattering, but I think it began at age 40.  I know this because I'm a great reader of fashion magazines, and InStyle recently told me that I no longer mattered, if indeed I existed at all.  They didn't even let me down easy. And I subscribe."

Fun and great summer reading. Don't miss it.

Now... if you read Scottoline's book, and you are a nonjudgmental, liberated woman (like the rest of us), you might want to balance your outlook by noting "Why Some Men Have Dogs and Not Wives." Just click on the "Humor For All Occasions"  link below.

http://hfao.blogspot.com/2012/06/why-some-men-have-dogs-and-not-wives.html

(Thanks to Bob A. for sending this link.)


  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment