Monday, November 16, 2009

What Do We Know about the Tea Party Patriots?



On November 16, 2009, Pennsylvanians saw another Tea Party Patriot demonstration. According to the Associated Press, the protest brought approximately 1500 to 2000 people-as estimated by police- to Harrisburg.

Since it's time I found out more about this organization-and since some of you have friends who have traveled as far as Washington, DC, to take part in the demonstrations- I went to the web for information. Normally, I don't rely on Wikipedia as a reference, but this time there is a comprehensive, documented article about the Tea Party Patriots, the debate as to whether it is a grass roots uprising or a manipulated PR campaign, the coverage by various media pundits, and -most importantly in my mind-the group's goals.  See www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_protests.

I can see myself joining in on protests about real estate taxes-a holdover from the Puritans living in New England in the 1600's-government spending, and the national debt that will be placed on the shoulders of my new grandbaby to be born next month.

Best of all, whatever we may think of this series of protests, the good thing is that people who have never joined a march of any kind for any goal are moving out of their comfort zone to voice their opinions.  I find that encouraging in a climate of too much apathy.

What do you think?  For it?  Against it?  If you've participated or know someone who has, please tell us about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment