Monday, April 20, 2015

The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins

(ClipsOnline)
It's led the best-seller list for weeks.  So many readers must have already read The Girl On The Train and have decided whether it was or wasn't worth the read.

We sometimes think that the Best Seller Lists are great guides as to what we should read next. Apparently, many reviewers feel that this novel is right where it should be. 

William O'Connor of thedailybeast.com headlines this novel as "The Fastest-Selling Adult Novel in History" (April 20, 2015) and cites Gwyneth Paltrow,  Stephen King, and Reese Witherspoon as "fans of the newest thriller dominating best-seller lists."  Goodreads.com characterizes it as "A debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives."  The review portrays the novel as "A compulsively readable, emotionally immersive, Hitchcockian thriller that draws comparison to Gone Girl, The Silent Wife, or Before I Go to Sleep."

So, here's a purely personal opinion.  My  questions are these:  Why did I not see the value in this debut novel?  What made other people turn the pages compulsively while I yawned through it.  Not once did I feel compelled to turn the pages in anticipation of what comes next.  One reason might be that I enjoy a finely crafted plot and like to watch the character development as the story progresses.

The novel seemed to me a portrait of a sad, young woman living vicariously through the strangers that she sees in the houses near the train tracks as she travels past.  Her pain is evident each time she sees the house that she and her husband lived in when they were married and before he divorced her. Many reviewers describe this book as the story of a young woman who has mysteriously disappeared.  I found the focus to be much more on Rachel's angst with the disappearance as a secondary event.  So many authors use multiple points of view and /or unreliable narrators, and I love reading all of the twists, turns, and revelations.  Not so with Hawkins' story.

True, the surprise is that Rachel's ex turns out to be the murderer.  And Rachel does rouse herself sufficiently to understand that he had manipulated her into thinking that the failure of their marriage rested with her.  And she does stop him from murdering again.

 Yes, Rachel does show a glimmer of wanting to change at the very end when her mother gives her some funds so that she can get back on her feet, and she does have hope now of a job.

 Bob A writes, " I did read, or attempted to read, The Girl on the Train. I did not care for it all. I found none of the characters likable and could not empathize with their plight or misfortune. For me, it was simply not a compelling read. However, I know I’m probably in the minority here given all the favorable reviews.

When I asked others who had read Hawkins' novel, I received more negative comments.  Some were swayed to purchase the book because published reviews had noted that those of us who liked Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn would want to read this novel as well.  I enjoyed  Gone Girl, too, so that comparison was one that swayed me.  I was very disappointed. 

Others have said they liked the story at first but that it bogged down in the middle.  Still others termed it "OK" and said they were prompted to read it because of the great reviews. So what have we missed?  In my opinion, tight plot structure and weak character development. And that was coupled with a  blurry focus on the murder victim, loose ends, and too much pathos. 

My view -as one of our group also said- is not falling into the majority opinion.  Don't get me started on Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread

Sigh, I seem better off reading fiction suggested by people who cross my path than by using one of the Best-Seller Lists as a guide.

 That being said, here I go again.  I just ordered Baldacci's Memory Man-sure to be listed.  I'm hoping to enjoy it as I have other Baldacci works.  And will I read another Hawkins' work?  Yes, especially if someone I know has recommended it.

(Thanks to Joan H, Bob A, John C, and Erin C for sharing their opinions with us.)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment