Friday, February 24, 2012

Finally! Time to Read: Five Titles to Consider As Your Next Book Choice

Non-Fiction

Pearl writes, "I just finished reading Cokie Roberts' book, Founding Mothers: The Women who Raised our Nation(2005). It is not a fast read, but I found it interesting to learn about what women's lives were like during the revolutionary times. And ....I learned that Benjamin Franklin was not such a nice guy!

Note:   Roberts also followed up with Ladies of Liberty:  The Women Who Shaped Our Nation, 2009.

Becky also  recommends a non-fiction selection. She writes, "I have a book I would like to recommend -- Citizens of London by Lynne Olson. It begins just after Joseph Kennedy has left London as our Ambassador. The new Ambassador[John Gilbert Winant] arrives and, unlike Kennedy, he is in favor of the United States entering the war. Edward R. Murrow is also a key figure in this book. I think a book is worth my time if I learn something new and throughout this book I often thought, "I never knew that before."

Historical Fiction

Pearl also recommends The Pearl Diver by Jeff Talarigo  She comments, "I found it fascinating."  She includes the quote 'In 1948, a nineteen-year-old pearl diver's dreams of spending her life combing the waters of Japan's Inland Sea are shattered when she discovers she has leprosy.' " The Pearl Diver is historical fiction and, in 2005, won the American Academy of Arts and Letters Rosenthal Award.

Fiction

Coming from Bob A.  are  2 works of fiction.  Bob writes, "I enjoy mysteries, political thrillers, and spy novels, etc. Hence, a couple of good, fast, and compelling reads--The first: One Rough Man by Brad Taylor(2011). It is especially good and is Taylor's first book. The author was in Special Forces(Delta Force) in the Army for 21 years and really knows his stuff--comparable reads to those of Lee Childs and Vince Flynn, and the main character is like those guys(Jack Reacher; Mitch Rapp)  but on steroids.  Anyway, I love the George Orwell quote appearing  in the front of the book and also posted in the main character's(Pike Logan) locker which is 'People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.'  A great line in my humble opinion. "

Bob's second recommendation is Adrenaline by Jeff Abbott (2011) and is described on the website, Rapsody in Books-a site we should check out for excellent reviews.  Adrenaline is described on the website as a novel of "terrorism, betrayal, treason, lots of deaths, and an international chase."  The entire review is posted at http://rapsodyinbooks.wordpress.com/2011/07/02review-of-%E2%80%9Cadrenaline%E2%80%9D-by-jeff-abbott/

Thanks to Pearl, Becky and Bob A. for giving us a heads up on these books.

3 comments:

  1. So many books...so little time. Strongly recommend Alison Weir's Eleanor of Aquitaine (queen of both France and England & Mother of Richard the Lionheart). In the film Lion in Winter, it was Kate Hepburn's Eleanor who said upon hearing of her son’s misdeeds....he might have just tried to kill Eleanor’s husband, King Henry……'Well, every family has their troubles. Herstory AND more in this book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! My own reading list is made up of the suggestions of those who read and contribute to the blog. If you'd like to be notified when new posts come up, send me an email address to include on the distribution list. Sigh! I wish my grandchildren called me 'Nana'.-my favorite grandmother name.

      Delete
  2. Just finishing (for the second time) Kaherine Neville's The Eight (1988) and completely enthralled…again. This two-tiered adventure story is historical fiction at its best. Says Susan Isaacs, 'This is a Quest with something for everyone: ancient curses from the Fertile Crescent; Russian chess masters; sexy, savvy American computer whizzes; Napoleon and Robespierre, brave nuns, valiant Jewish diamond merchants; magic numbers; secret hiding places; the music of the spheres. In other words, Ms. Neville’s big adventure novel is great fun.'

    Look forward to her sequel, The Fire and to her essays. Check out her link below.

    Hope you’ll take time to read her webpage/link listed below. Absolutely fascinating woman

    And, yup, love it when my grandkids call me Nana….brings back wonderful adventures with my own Nana

    http://www.katherineneville.com/

    ReplyDelete